Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Remark on Conlangs

I just read the "Conlang Manifesto" at the webpage of the Language Creation Society and I want to stress I agree totally with it.  While I never create a conlang unless it's going to be spoken by a fictional character, just creating one for its own sake or for one's personal entertainment is terrific!  Wouldn't anybody find such an occupation more beneficial than wasting time on computer solitaire, for example?  (Something I confess I've done.)  Any work with language obviously requires the use of the brain.  In fact, every time I read something about how older people (of whom I'm one) should do things like crossword puzzles in order to stave off Alzheimer's, I say out loud, "How about constructing imaginary languages?"  Nobody ever thinks about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment