Friday, June 19, 2020

The Blessing of Krozem - Alternate Covers

I've made two covers for The Blessing of Krozem, which I'm going to publish soon.  I've posted them on Facebook and gotten opinions, but I want to put them up in a blog post and see if I can get some more opinions, because I'm having trouble deciding between them.  The night scene, without the portrait of Gilzara, is more striking, I think - better composed, has depth and as one person on Twitter commented, it gives a better picture of the world.  But I think it looks too much like a children's book.  Somebody commented on Twitter, "Ah-h, that's so cute!"  The second cover is more serious and shows the main character, but somebody else thought it also looks like a children's book. 

So what do you think?  I wondering if I could use both - one on Amazon and one on Smashwords.

 And here is the proposed blurb (subject to editing) so you'll have some idea what the story is about.

What would it really be like to be immortal?  And how important is the power of friendship and the need for communion with one’s fellow humans?


On Ziraf’s World, a planet in a universe far away from ours, an old priest named Gilzara decides to ask the Dreamers for the gift of immortality, and Krozem the Creator of Humankind grants his request, including giving him the power to make others immortal.  However, things go tragically wrong for Gilzara; his dying wife refuses the gift, and Gilzara is left to live his immortal life alone.  The Troil, incorporeal spirit beings who also inhabit this world, take it upon themselves to save Gilzara from destroying the token that holds the key to his immortality, but he continues to see himself as a freak and an outcast, unable to relate to any mortal.  The Troil teach him the power of venwara – wizardry – and thus fortified, he returns to the human world, desperately searching for a connection.  He finds it in Halrab, a young novice priest, and together they set out to climb the Starbell, the highest mountain in Ziraf’s World, the symbol of an unattainable goal.

2 comments:

  1. The top cover (nighttime) is more eye-catching, Lorinda, and is your ‘brand’ style vector covers. Anyone reading the blurb would immediately grasp that the story is more middle grade to adult level.
    As a reader, I’d recommend you use the same cover everywhere, to avoid any confusion. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Chris. Most people who have offered an opinion prefer the night scene, too. I really think it's more eye=catching, and more artistic. I think I'll stick with that one. I might occasionally use the second one in promos.

    ReplyDelete